View Single Post
Old 22-12-2010, 06:17 PM
HalfaMan

Isochronic tones (ISO) and Binaural Beats

Can audio tones shift your Consciousness?

I do not pretend to know for sure but I have been experimenting with and deriving some benefit from both of these audio methods.
Here I shall try to explain them a little and offer some insight into their use.

It has long been accepted that our brain works at differing levels.

The expression used is Hertz (Hz) this is a unit of measurement for things such as sound.
1 Hz = 1 cycle per second so if you tap your finger on a key of your key board at a regular relaxed pace ......... you will probably be doing so at about 2Hz or twice a second.
Still with me

Many of you will know that when our hearing is good we can hear sounds within the range of 20Hz (low base sound) to 20,000 Hz very high pitch.

Brain waves have been measured as follows:

13 to 40 Hz Beta waves (Active, busy or anxious thinking and active concentration)
7 to 13 Hz Alpha waves Relaxation (while awake)
4 to 7 Hz Theta waves Dreams, deep meditation, hypnosis
4 Hz Delta waves Deep dreamless sleep.

As you will note, it is only part of the Beta range that we could expect to hear.

Many people including scientists think that the brain can be moved into the above states by subjecting it to tones within the ranges.
However a way needs to be found to do this as we can't hear most of the ranges.

This is where Binaural Beats come in.

Binaural Beats are made with sine wave generators and are used to create two separate frequency waves which are introduced to each ear independently. (headphones) The brain reacts by creating a third tone which is the difference between the two.

A sine wave is nothing more than a smooth curving line that goes up and down and you will all know tones like this from the beeps on your computer to alarm clocks etc. (time pips)

So, if we wanted to move our brain waves into the 7Hz range we could use one tone at 100Hz and one at 107Hz the difference being 7Hz our brain being very cleaver will do the maths and when relaxed you might notice a regular cyclic third sound.
I can't yet post links but will do later on to demonstrate this to you.

This is one method of giving our brains a frequency to fix onto that is outside of our normal hearing range.

The other more modern method (Binaural has been around for 100+ years) is
Isochronic tones.

Isochronic tones are regular beats of a single fixed tone.
The gap between the tones is the required frequency so a tone would be broken 7 times per second to arrive at out 7Hz above.
ISO tones do not require headphones and they are felt to be more effective.

OK there is a lot of information there to take in at one time.
I'll post more here very soon describing the benefits that some people gain from these tones.

Regards all

Mike

Last edited by HalfaMan : 22-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.