View Single Post
Old 28-06-2019, 05:51 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Hate to say so but that's like the oxymoron.

You shouldn't let your perception of other "Christians", decide whether you're a Christian or not.

If you believe Christ is Who He said He was, and that He arose bodily from the dead, then you are the Christian.

There is no such thing as a "non Christian", believer.
On a more serious note, words do matter, and titles are words we use to label ourselves and others. But words are just symbols for the underlying concepts we seek to convey, and Christian has many different meanings to many different people (as does God I suppose). Perhaps I do have the right to use the word Christian to label myself, but if I want to convey an understanding of myself to another, it is likely to convey something I do not intend, so I prefer to avoid the confusion. It may be true that "follower" (or student of, or fan) will also have many meanings to many people (as would "believer"), but I find there are fewer who want to fight about it, and so my life is simpler. I am who I am, I see what I see, and tomorrow I am likely to see something a bit different, so I see no reason to be too protective of what I see today. I like my pumpkin pie just fine, but if others are going to fight about who deserves the last piece, I can make do with apple, let them fight it out.