Starr

I've heard a LOT of these.

"You must not purchase your own deck, it should be given to you as a gift"

"The cards must be wrapped in silk"

"You can't read cards when it's raining"

"A reading deck must never be used for gaming"

"You must sleep with a new deck under your pillow in order to bond with it"

Etc., etc., etc.

While some decks have been given to me in recent years because I am known as a person who is into cards, in the beginning, nobody gave me any cards. I got sweaters and bath salts just like the other girls, lol. If I'd waited for someone to give me a deck, I'd probably still be waiting.

The "wrapping in silk" thing is a direct rip from I Ching lore. The I Ching is traditionally wrapped in yellow silk. I Ching is from China. Tarot originated in Europe. I have decks in bags of made of various materials, boxes made of wood, metal, cardboard or plastic, and some with just a hair elastic around them. They all work. If you like wrapping your decks in silk, by all means do so. Just be aware that you don't HAVE to.

I don't know where the rain thing came from. I heard it locally, so it's probably based in Cuaranderismo, but don't quote me on this. Since this is not my tradition, I read cards when it's raining.

In the old days, itinerant card readers, like the Romany, were generally poor. They didn't have big deck collections and whatever they had certainly had to do double duty as reading and gaming decks. Yet their reading skills are legendary.

You're certainly free to sleep with your cards under your pillow and some people swear by it, but as for me, I learn by practicing while I'm awake, lol. If there's any bonding, that's when it happens.