View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I thing any physicist will tell you that dark matter/energy is only an mathematical description that accounts for the 'missing' mass/energy.

One day they will detect something, probably (that's a key word in particle detection), but physics is really only abstract descriptions, a sort of concise language that makes some sort of meaning of human experience. That's not really my view, but the widely accepted philosophical basis for scientific epistemology.

Agreed on all points.
Except that IMO, it's precisely BECAUSE physics is a sort of concise language that makes some sort of meaning of human experience that it's among the most important and far-reaching of the sciences.

Nonetheless...it too is ultimately limited in scope...and most physicists today will immediately agree -- even as many seek for ways in which they can free themselves of the need for material "measurement" or proof. As I see it, much of groundbreaking and theoretical physics ultimately yearns to be metaphysics, and this is purely in search of or in service to truth.

Because much of What Is and thus of truth cannot be measured materially in any sort of meaningful and substantive way. It can only be experienced, known, and apprehended.

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke