View Single Post
Old 24-01-2019, 12:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Let's just keep in mind that "scientists" are people too, and can be wrong. We tend to quote science when it confirms our beliefs. Faith in science is still faith ... :)

Personally, I'm critical because I come from an informed position (as opposed to an ideological one), but if was making generic recommendations, I'd go along with the Canadian Food guide.

The USA guidelines basically say the same thing as Canada, but their 'plate' doesn't have any food on it, and their dreary site isn't getting the message across. However, their recommendation concerning protein food is "A variety of protein foods, including seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), and nuts, seeds, and soy products" (exactly that on the Canadian 'plate').

The American Guide treats dairy very differently that Canada. It includes a glass of 'dairy' on the 'plate' which implies dairy is an essential food group unto itself. However, under their heading "A Healthy Eating Pattern Includes": "Fat-free or low-fat dairy, including milk, yogurt, cheese, and/or fortified soy beverages". They do include a calcium fortified vegan option - which is really very fair - but their message is 'dairy'.

Other than the seeming over importance of dairy, the USA guide basically says the same things as the Canadian guide, and I'd go with Canada on that point - because dairy shouldn't be considered essential and the Canadians are consistent with regard to saturated fat - (notwithstanding calcium is very important and dairy is a viable option).

The Canadian Food guide caused an uproar because of how it is presented more than anything else, and the only big change is the glaring omission omission of dairy on the plate (though we can't tell what the white stuff in the little bowl is). That aside, Canada's Guide is not remarkably different in content from the American Guide from 2011. The Americans might also treat dairy differently in their updated guide. We'll see.