View Single Post
Old 27-10-2018, 06:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiccanwolfchild
I'm about 380 pounds and iv'e already cut back on my food intake I just would like to know some easy exercises to start with to work on so I can lose weight and any exercises to plump my butt out a wee bit its quite flat and i'd like to have a perfect figure when I lose weight thanks.

Hi WWC.

To me, the way we think about body composition is important, and the way we say things can help us to be more focused and clear about the way in we imagine ourselves in context with our body.

When we say 'lose weight' we really mean 'lose fat'... so talking about it as 'fat loss' is being specific about the goal and making a clearer vision. This applies to other aspects such as 'eating less' when what we really mean is 'healthy nutrition'. Then a sentence like 'I am eating less to lose weight' sounds more like 'I'm getting the right nutrition for shedding body fat', forming a clear, positive vision.

I think deficit based words should be avoided. Words like fat 'loss' are better said 'shedding fat', and words like eating 'less' is better said as 'eating right'. It's just a more positive vernacular of thought.

I use the term 'body composition' to talk about bodies because it's unabrasive, neutral language which pertains the body composition of fat and muscle mass.

'Exercise' is also not the a way I like to talk about deliberate physical activity. 'Training' is a more proactive way of thinking about it. In real terms, you are making your body do hard things so it becomes the way it need to be to be able to do them. The body changes form into a body shape than can do harder, then harder, things. So, we 'train' for the performance goal, rather than 'exercise'.

It means we can 'train to improve performance'. And expression sounds something like, 'I eat the foods I need for training to reach my performance goal'. Shedding body fat is the consequential adaption of what you do rather than being the primary goal. The primary focus is on doing what it takes to reach performance goals, and shedding body fat is the inevitable consequent adaption to reaching that performance.

I don't know what exercise you should do because I don't know what you like and hate, or your injury history/physical conditions and so on, but I know your specific goal is to shed fat and not muscle. For that goal, you have to signal the body with resistance training that it needs to keep (or gain) muscle while you shed fat, and you have to have the nutrition to back that up. The general class of training which is best for your outcomes is 'strength and conditioning' which is specific to individuals' goals or sports, but basically trains for muscle endurance, strength and cardio concurrently.

If you need any information on nutrition planning or training strategies, give me a shout and we can talk it through.