View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Apologies, I thought talk of integration might sound a little New Age-y to you! But you've said it very well, and I completely agree :) (Slightly tangential, but it's funny you should say that because I've been thinking today about how I relate to my sensual experience and I've become hideously aware of just how very white, English, and male I am in that respect - God, being uptight really takes it out of you :o).
Uh-oh, this isn't going to be a "quick, jam on his nose" moment is it?

This gets interesting because I’ve wondered whether women/men make (just) friends more easily if at least one is aware of their sensuality. Sensual doesn’t mean hedonistic or sexual all the time – its sensations are really the further reach of sensuality. I’ve always been “sensual” (as far as I remember) because of music, my “inner world” swirled into motion by impressionistic music, the kind that captures mood – it has melody/motif obviously but that’s secondary to the play of colour and mood painting. It can simply take me over. (A popular example for piano is Debussy’s Clair de Lune) Why this is so I really don’t know. Same with just being in Nature and absorbing Her moods. That’s where a lot of it starts.

So this issue of integration never needed to happen - latent until the time came. It's nearer extreme and absorbing rather than just gratifying the senses, closer to the psyche and one's mysteries than physical.

Is it easier just to be friends with this broader awareness? Even with someone of similar makeup? At the very least one doesn’t need to (or simply doesn’t) put forth a physically attractive image: body shaping garments, cosmetics….. You see women trying to attract…then wonder why their emotions aren’t fulfilled with their “haul” so to speak.

In those situations, the mating game seems to preclude an ordinary friendship.

Quote:
Also a great point - if you want to give something more power, repress it! Ugh, deary me... it's frustrating that certain faiths/cultures have such a seemingly unhealthy attitude towards sexuality, though I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it (I don't know enough about these things to know either way, in fairness). In my own case I come from a religious background - two Christian parents who handle such matters by basically avoiding talking about them if they possibly can (the most you'll often get is a raised eyebrow), and the church I belonged to when I was younger was stiflingly conservative in most respects. The result is a lot of shame and guilt around sex and sexuality, such feelings being more and more evident the more conscious I become... if nothing else, it's given me an insight into the effect these influences can have on a personal level.

I was initially brought up in the shadow of Christianity. I’ve since abandoned religion as a tao of obedience though I hold believers in respect. It's easy to feel the attraction of belonging and atmosphere in those churches that invite solemn worship; having as a youngster been in a choir that allowed girls. The Merbecke communion service stirred me even if I was too young to be confirmed, one of the few liturgical things that reached deep. Synaesthesia on the part of Merbecke? I shall never know. No matter, it got me up at 7am to be in time for the 8 o’clock service!

A bit later this was transmuted by a syncretism that gave more scope for self-expression and awareness of the integration spoken of here.

So it throws light on why ordinary, maybe platonic friendships could unwittingly be obstructed by the way the female/male attraction process(!) operates. It becomes an expectation.

Crikey, that's done me for the day. My Queendom for a coffee pot and aspirins! she cries!
Hoping you have a pleasant day.

Pax et coffeeus tecum.