View Single Post
Old 20-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Wikipedia isn't an authority in anything, just a point of view, that can be as BiaSed and wrong as any opinion.

You make it sound as if I think wikipedia by itself is an authority, but that is not true. I use wikipedia because it quickly allows people to read on a topic. From there on they can check the sources. This offers more than a single source elsewhere. As far as a random internet discussion goes it is often still sufficient. I don't have the patience to go through a database of science journals, or in this case a database with commentaries and articles written by theologians on this specific topic, because I don't expect people here are interested in that kind of detail. It's just a forum, not a theological conference here, so linking a wiki page feels right and is within the 'spirit' of such.

I too believe there is much about the bible that is symbolic, for example the genesis stories. Then other parts are likely just nationalistic ramblings (the anti-Egypt and anti-Babylon sentiment for example), used by people to further create and develop a sense of national identity. Then again some other parts could have really happened, though are still biased and written with a religious 'policy' in the back of their minds. So we get a complex picture.

And based on various parts of the bible I don't think it's controversial to say the bible is rather positive towards vegetarianism.