View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 01:30 PM
Master
Lightbulb Ignorance is harmful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBelle
Yes, I could. However, most of the time I simply disagree. I don't believe in Global Warming, recycling etc. I just don't.
In that case you are denying the continued work and scientific efforts and research by 98% of scientists who work in the field of environmental science. It does not matter whether you or me 'believe' in global warming and climate change, just as it does not matter whether we do or do not 'believe' in evolution. These things happen, they are real. There were more cold winters and snow when my parents grew up then when I did. But changes tend to happen slowly, so we adapt to them, and get used to them. But the long term pattern is clear. We can see trends when it comes to sea levels, melting ice caps and glaciers, temperature rises.

There are also changes in species' behaviour such as bird migration patterns. I guess some of my colleagues doing research in it are just idiots and I better turn to Fox News or Breitbart if I want to understand animal behaviour and how climate changes them..

I have an older brother who is very much like you in that regard. He says there is no global warming and climate change, yet he has no profession in the field or sufficient knowledge about the topic. He also has zero interest in nature so he does not observe patterns in nature. Doesn't read about it, shows no interest in it. Instead of looking at the science and observing the world he turns to crackpot websites that have zero scientific credibility.

It's all very surreal.. basing an opinion about something without actually checking the science and making observations..
Funny that Shell and co. already knew about it in the 1970s, but choose to do nothing about it.

Like you said..

Quote:
Also, I don't want to research this..
I do sometimes watch a Documentary or read a Science article about other things. However, I'm simply not interested in matters regarding Global Warming, Solar Power or other such issues.
So..
  • You have no interest in these topics..
  • You have ''sometimes'' watched a docu or read an article about it..
.. and yet you think this is enough to make extraordinary claims about science and completely deny the work 98% of scientists put into this. That is very dishonest and not an attitude a person with a science degree should have..

As for solar panels.. if you ever buy your own house you may be interested in them as it isn't just better for the environment but it will safe you money and make you less dependent on big companies. Of course it would help if your government would give people incentives in that regard but at the moment it's not looking that great. They prefer to keep the people dependent upon the existing energy system, in line with party promises made to fossil fuel sponsors.

Quote:
Well, there I agree with you, just for a different reason. It's very much in the best interest of the cat to be kept indoors. Cats are much safer indoors.
Right, so when it concerns the safety and possible deaths of cats you are concerned, yet when it concerns other animals you deliberately turn a blind eye. Why the difference? I can only assume you are a cat owner yourself, and because of that you feel attachment to cat(s). This means your sense of care for animals is limited and based on personal attachments..