View Single Post
Old 17-12-2017, 04:10 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yes, compound exercises such as squats need to be the foundation of the program - especially for strength.

Yes, the main benefit of the bench press is you can load heavier weight, but bench press isn't particularly safe, and dumbbells would probably be a better option for most for the reasons you describe here.

I would say that 45 minutes is a good minumum, and probably a great guideline for busy people, but once the body is conditioned to handle volume, one might want to take about 90 minutes.

We take 3 things into account - stress, adaptation and recovery. The body has to be put under stress to produce and adaptation. For a beginner 45 minutes will be a lot of stress, but for an experienced lifter, it's probably not going to be enough to force an adaption. Recovery is the last factor, which means rest, enough nutrients, and proper sleep.

Sounds about right, instead of sugars, low GI carbs. The amount of carbs would depend on various things like weight loss goals and type of training. Protein always stays the same, and a gram per lean body weight is about right.

Yes, in my case I work on strength, so my rep range is not more than 5, but there is also need for muscle building, which needs higher reps (with lighter weights), so I use rep ranged between 8 and 12 for muscle mass gains, and use lower reps to push the nervous system to maximum straining of those muscles. I would do 5 sets of each exercise, but I am quite well conditioned to that volume. 3-4 sets is perfect for most.

Good balanced workout program right there. I agree standing military press is better and safer because it requires proper glute and core engagement. Seated press is OK using dumbbells, though.

Yep, that protein profile sounds good.

yeah, i bet your right about going beyond 45 minutes. thanks for sharing.

i forfot one thing. the most important for me since i did a lot of physical work. weighted sit ups.

if i ever decide and am able to get back into it. i will run it by you and listen to whatever advice you may have.

in the mean time im gonna try to find something to do pull ups on to add to my current work out. thanks for the information you shared on that!

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4