View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Guide

Another great post by Starman*

He is right. I actually wrote a reply but it did not get posted here...and now I have to start over. I didn’t read Starmans post until now...and I won’t relay what he has already told you. I will relate to you.

I was faced with death at a very young age...my own, and that if my best friend and relative at the age of 11. He was 10 years old when he died of cancer...that movie, My Girl, comes to mind. Although not as dramatic, very much traumatizing. I don’t remember grieving for him, as a young kid...I was resilient, but it did come back later on.

I’ve worked in the medical field as an aide, doctors assistant, Imaging tech assistant, and in the ER.

I’ve seen overdoses, drownings, car accidents, sickness, ect. I’ve seen some strange things, too. The profession you have picked can be a roller coaster of experience and learning. You never know what the day is going to bring. There are good days...like when I was working in the ER.... and the paramedics were bringing in a 2 yr old that drowned. We were all on edge, waiting in terror and anticipation for this baby. Word spread fast through the ER and Imaging of the drowning....and it became a whirlwind of activity.

Then the ambulance arrived, and the baby came in...everyone was trying to get a glimpse without disturbing, intruding or overcrowding the doctors. Thank God the paramedics knew CPR, because baby came in, running around the ER halls, playing and being loud....just a delete hours earlier she had drowned in her family pool. She was released later that day. Her story ended well that day.

But many do and some don’t. Things will always affect you...you will learn to take the good with the bad....and learn absolution, as well as resilience the longer you are in. There will be things you bounce back from....as the medical profession never stops....it’s a busy busy place to work. You will also he thrown down your fair share of times. The blows get easier the more you are exposed. Some things never do. My advice is experience, and growth. I have seen dead bodies, had people die on my wing on my shift....the charge nurse freak out, call the morgue, clean up the body, notify the family, ect....when it was totally unexpected. I’ve had people be fine one second, dead the next....and the only one there on that wing, was me. The joy of night shift.

I can share more stories, when I have more time after work. You will see in time, there are many good outcomes....everything will be running fairly smooth...then out of the blue....something will happen, and you will be faced with mortality. It’s the way the pendulum swings. Death is apart of life...it’s inevitable. I remember an incident in our facility where our charge nurse got a call...her son was killed in a car accident, then one of our nurses aides, 4 yr old drowned that same year...in the same week...our day shift nurse died of a heart attack. It was a very tough year...but we all had each other, in the medical field you have lots of other workers with you usually....going through the same thing....so you have people to talk to and lean on....even if it happens on a particular shift, usually all 3 shifts are affected....there’s usually alot of support once word reaches everyone....and you see that it affects everyone very similar