View Single Post
Old 23-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness
Reiki is a form of spiritualism
Do you know that Spiritualism is a religion?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...1/spiritualism

You might feel like they are similar, but it almost tends to be people from the outside labeling things, because of perceived similarities. Such generalization causes a misunderstanding of the cultural context.
Quote:
There are minor differences between Korean Shamanism and Shinto. The art and mythology is completely different, but what the people actually do is the same. but I mean OLD shinto
late 19th century
Then they are not the same are they? And you are aware of the fact that Buddhism and Shinto have been mixing and cross-pollinating for a good 1000 years?

Quote:
I don't know what it is like today only that the influence of buddhism has been pervasive and the philosophy of spiritualism and buddhism are antithetical
See above reply. Religious and cultural traditions that aren't 'revealed' like Abrahamic religions tend to have little problem coexisting with other philosophies. Just look at the attitudes many Chinese have towards the Traditional religion, and various strands of Mahayana.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you need explanation on
this is not rocket science

Shinto and Korean shamanism are both forms of spiritualism

they're both doing and attempting to do the identical same thing

contact with spirits
Are you aware of the differences (that is to say, anthropologically defined differences) between shamanic and shamanistic practices? Your assertion that they are both the same is likely to cause a misunderstanding of both traditions, since they have evolved in different regions and cultures and will naturally have a nuance that makes them very separate.