View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Sounds like we are in agreement, only using different systems and language to point in the same direction.

Before I came across Vedanta in general and Advaita specifically I spent a good decade delving into consciousness from the perspective of secular meditation, neuroscience, philosophy of mind, physics and psychology. I don't have your depth of knowledge on the psychology end but was exposed to the general concepts. Same for everything else. Jack of all trades, master of none. LOL!

And yeah, enlightenment is just a word but a very loaded word and of course prone to appropriation by Ahamkara. "I am enlightened!".
While I was ploughing through info on Ahamkara I clicked one of the links that led to an explanation of the word. As I read that through it sounded more and more like cognitive behaviour, and cognitive behaviour therapy is something that has come through fairly recently. I don't know how much of a time gap there is between the ancients' wisdom and cognitive behaviour or Jung, but it shows how much the ancients knew and how little things have changed in so many thousands of years. Same system, different language.

Sometimes having an open mind isn't such a bad thing though, a toolbox with more than just Spirituality is a great help in understanding Spirituality because it can help to distinguish which is what and where it comes from. When you understand that there's more to you than meets the eye it can be enlightening outside of the labels. It also provides a very different perspective and understanding - and appreciation of who we are as 'regular' humans.