View Single Post
Old 28-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Lorelyen

The books / writings may make you feel better but may not alleviate the fallout from your upbringing. Unfortunately we're prisoners of our childhood and forging a different "path" (to null what was in favour of what should be) takes a bit of work. It's possible that some of those authors' favourite quotes are material for meditation but they have to be fitted in to what you want to do. (I was a bit put off by some of the Hicks quotes presented on the forum. Some seemed way off.)

As for reconciling contradictions that's a pitfall of the spiritual marketplace. There's a lot of conflicting info out there - and some snake-oil articles have contradictions within them. Having said that we have to decide what current/teachings we believe in. It's really good looking at as many as you can then contemplating each to see which fits with your instinctive "beliefs" anyway. You may change your mind later - you may find irreconcilable contradictions in some offerings - but that's all part of self-development: you go along as best you can. It's my view that one has to develop a critical eye and sense to validate what's being taught. Some stuff out there is positively fraudulent; some is just sticking plaster over the mess that society has become.

I thought I'd purged myself of my early upbringing (and think generally I have because I rebelled early but that rebellion itself comes with other problems) so I still recognise "issues" that I suppose should be dealt with but now wonder if it's worth it. I'm happy where I am (mostly), have a long way to go but each step pushes the past further past and I know I'm not going to get rid of them completely. "Moving on" is probably the best bet accepting the cards I was dealt.