View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Greybeard

Are past lives a reality?

Karma is a thing of the here and now. It relates to the past of this present life. Simply put it is "As ye sow, so also shall ye reap." Or in more modern jargon, "What goes around comes around." I used to drive taxicab, and I always told people that driving a cab was Instant Karma...what you put out behind that wheel comes back and bites you real quick. So you learn to be careful what you put out. No past lives needed. Karma is real, here and now.

There are astrologers, those who believe in past lives, who say the horoscope does show them (the 12th House is the house of karma). Astrologers like me, who don't put much stock in the idea of past lives just put it all down to what you did last week.

Both approaches yield pretty much the same results.

Trouble with my approach is that you don't get the magical flight to Fantasy Land. It's just sort of humdrum "you did bad last week and it's coming round." Not so imaginative, but it gets the job done in a very simple, direct and realistic way. It's something you can sink your teeth into and do something about. Past lives are long gone, and out of our hands. Any remedy of past life karma can only be effective in this life...so why not just stay here in the first place?

It always amazes me how humans have such a love of making the simple complex.