View Single Post
Old 19-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I will say what I always say: that this thread is not about Buddhist practice; it is the practice itself. I can't possibly frame the subject in any other way, because if it isn't in practice then it can't be called 'Buddhism'.This then only begs the question: what is the practice?

There are a couple of formalities: 'taking refuge' and some simple moral vows (sila). For the purposes of this thread, refuge should be thought of taking refuge or resting in the enlightenment within yourself, whatever it means to you... a secondary aspect of refuge is refuge in eachother, as we should be as trustful as we can that we wish for mutual happiness and greater benefit and well-being. If this remains our true wish, that makes us trustworthy. It's also the basic principle of 'metta', or loving-kindness.

he moral vows are pretty simple: not killing, stealing etc. or otherwise harming, which are a basic byproduct of taking refuge, and hence, metta. It is taught that these two together are the foundation of practice. So we with refuge in enlightenment, and conduct of kind, mutual respect. If we remain grounded in these, we're well founded for the intricacies of practice.

There are many ways to practise Buddhism and I think it depends on what branch ( if any) you choose to follow. Some focus on different aspects of Buddha's teachings but all of them do follow the basics and seem to agree and accept the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. Buddhism unlike religion is open to diversity so each branch/school will follow different practices but to be a Buddist you must practise Buddhism according to your branch/school.