View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Usually when I can't sleep it's due to stress. My mind will just start whirring away, and my body will be very restless. In my own experiences I find that aromatherapy can be a very individual experience, depending on what fragrances an individual mind associates with such concepts as safety, peace, comfort, etc since the olfactory portion of the brain is very closely connected with areas that are heavily involved in memories. So for example, for me personally the combination of patchouli and tea tree really resonates with me in a very grounding and calming way. It strikes my mind as very familiar, something I can't recall very specifically, but something with which I felt relaxed and comforted. My best guess is that it is a sort of aquatic-earthy smell, like wet dirt our in the woods after a heavy rain, because I lived near a thick wooded area while I was growing up as a kid and escaped into it often to walk, think and process things when I was stressed. So personally while I find lavender to be a lovely smell, patchouli with tea tree is actually a lot more calming and comforting to me, more often than not. So I would suggest to anyone the idea of sampling various fragrances and seeing if any of them resonate with their mind in certain ways, including any relaxing or comforting ways. Not really a matter of finding the right options per a list, but rather the right options for the person, in some cases.