View Single Post
Old 19-12-2010, 02:21 AM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Yes, comfrey is very nice. I lament the loss of my plants :(

One should be careful in consuming it. Some studies have shown that prolonged use can cause liver damage. Thus it is usually used externally, rather than internally.

For colds, garlic, garlic and garlic! Along with honey, ginger and cinnamon. And good ole home made chicken soup. That's my trick. Oh, and of course, herbal teas and green tea help perk you up.

ironically, I have recently succumbed to a sore throat! Doggone it.

Actually, there have only been 2 or 3 cases of liver damage with comfrey, and there is no other information on those cases as to the health of the persons before suppmenting, where the comfrey was obtained and what other pharmaceuticals were being taken with the comfrey. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about liver damage from comfrey. Dr. Christopher, http://www.herballegacy.com/, used comfrey in his bone, flesh and cartilage formula quite successfully in many cases mentioned in the link. I have used his bone, flesh and cartilage formula in a topical oil and internally in capsules to successfully straighten the torque in my lower back from scoliosis.

If I can ever find a comfrey plant, I'm going to plant it in my yard.