View Single Post
Old 17-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Master

I went back and read some of the posts at the first of this thread. I started it 7-4-2015. So much uncertainty back then. So much to learn. I loved being able to connect with others that have food or chemical sensitivities. It made me feel like I wasn't alone. And I wasn't, thanks to your support.

When I became gluten and corn intolerant, starting in 2013, I went though a whirlwind of a learning experience, because the only way to test a food was to eat it. And then when I'd have a reaction, I'd research it online. I remember one of my last foods to have a reaction to (on a very long learning curve) was coffee. After researching I found they can use fillers in ground coffee; one of them corn.

in 2013 I first became intolerant to dairy. I eliminated that and then started getting sick on other foods. Eventually I found I was gluten intolerant, then corn, and the rest is journaled at the first of this thread.

A few years later I did the DNA test with 23 and Me. 23 and Me does ongoing research on anyone who participates in their DNA testing. Finding the commonalities with DNA and maladies. I was puzzled when I received an email from them saying I did not have the genes that can cause celiac.

I was relieved that my family didn't have to worry about celiac, but wondered why I got it.

I finally connected the dots: a year before I started having food problems, I had the severe form of West Nile (only 1% of those who get WN, get the severe type) with meningitis. With the severe type of WN I had a compromised immune system (the second reason why people can develop celiac disease). Made sense.

Fast forward to last week. I was eating some gf cheese doodles and reread the label (I always read labels) and was shocked to see the first ingredient was corn! I about choked. How had I missed that! I happened to already have an appointment with my doctor so while there, explained to her what happened.

My doctor suggested some enzymes or whatever might have been killed in my intestinal tract while I was sick with WN, and it has taken this long to balance out my gut flora. It must be said the doctor who helped me through WN has since retired and this new doctor has no history of my journey to live healthy on a gluten and corn free diet. She said the only way to be sure was to go straight to the source. Get some corn on the cob. So I did and I had no reaction, no sickness.

Maybe she's right, not sure about that. But the important thing is I can now eat corn again.

So now I am sadly and happily posting my last time to this thread on 8-17-2020. I wish you well and hope this information can help you on your journey to a healthy life.