View Single Post
Old 28-03-2020, 07:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Pointing out a flaw entails explaining the breakdown in the reason or logic, and not just telling someone that they are wrong.

I does have a lot to do with listening to what people say, because I didn't say it was just listening to someone and being polite.

I didn't say that either.

According to what I was taught, Buddha is not a person, so no one can be, has been or will be a Buddha. Buddha refers to 'the quality of enlightenment' within everyone. The meditation is for the purification of beings, overcoming sorrow, walking the path of truth and the attainment of nirvana. The process is a purification that begins on the surface of the mind and proceeds to the subtlest/deepest levels. By removing the stuff that blocks the channel, the flow moves freely through the animate life form. According to the teaching nirvana is already there, and the path is not to move forward in time and get it the future, but to stay right here and move from the gross to the subtle levels. According to the teaching, 7 years, 6 years, 5,4,3,2 or 1 year; 7 months, 6, 5,4,3,2, 1 or even 1/2 a month or 7 days, "one of two results may be expected: in this very life highest wisdom or, if a substratum of aggregates remains, the stage of non-returner."

This is a crude outline of the principles as I studied them, but the studies themselves are very nuanced and intricate.

As I explained in my previous post, energy experiences are resultant from the practice so we can say they are entailed in 'Buddhism', but it's also important to understand that such experiences are regarded equally with mundane physical experiences due to all experience being impermanent in nature.

Yes. Mindfulness, insight, vipassana is Buddhist meditation and all the Buddhist schools teach this art, as well as the metta meditations which are intricately related. Other schools teach other things, and that can be called Buddhist as well, but mindfulness is common to all the schools. Furthermore, mindfulness is universal in application, and not sectarian in nature.

Being Buddhist or not Buddhist is is irrelevant since meditation us universal.

Of course. I always (well... usually, at least) know what people are saying in context with what is going on with myself. It's not a lesson where I learn stuff. It's more like something that requires close attention. At first attention wavers a lot and you lose track of what you're doing, but with each remembrance, the attention becomes more firmly rooted in the actuality of momentary existence.

' According to what I was taught, Buddha is not a person, so no one can be, has been or will be a Buddha. '

Yes but your School is not Buddhist.
Buddha is a Title and means one who is awake so who is the ' one ' who is awake if not a Person....