View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 02:21 AM
Master
We will caregorise it into three parts, only because that is way it is structured in Buddhism, and it is as good a way as any and a better way than most, but I will try not to become rigid in the dogma because to do so is only going to promote agreeability on the authority of Buddhist teachings, but this is the meditation in which one looks to see for themselves what is the true nature of things. It is not a mere exercise in double checking what is said against an authoritative source of knowledge.

I think enough has been said about the foundation of morality and virtue, so I'll move on to the second phase, the mindful practice, and due to this being a Buddhist forum, relate that to the 8 fold path.

The 8 path is about doing it 'right' (translated from the Pali, 'samma'). I found this explanation on http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/8foldpath.htm
Samma means 'proper', 'whole', 'thorough', 'integral', 'complete', and 'perfect' - related to English 'summit' - It does not necessarily mean 'right', as opposed to 'wrong'. However it is often translated as "right" which can send a less than accurate message. For instance the opposite of 'Right Awareness' is not necessarily 'Wrong Awareness'. It may simply be incomplete. Use of the word 'right' may make for a neat or consistent list of qualities in translations. The down side is that it can give the impression that the Path is a narrow and moralistic approach to the spiritual life. I use variant interpretations so you consider the depth of meanings. What do these things mean in your life right now?
The first part of the 8 path is centred in morality: 'right action', 'right livlihood', 'right speech' ect, and the second part is centred in mindfulness/meditation, 'right effort', 'right observation', 'right meditation'.

It basically means one has to get their house in order first. If there are things in chaos and degeneracy, these will occupy the mind, and so to make things orderly and organised frees the mind from so much trivia. For example, if you have a schedule you don't have to think about everything, you just follow the schedule. If you have a list of things to do, you don't have to remember everything, just follow the list. Being organised frees the mind from a lot (In this regard I should practice what I preach).

Ok I guess that's where it starts - it seems I'm saying what I need to do myself... and I might continue along that consideration