View Single Post
Old 15-12-2022, 05:40 AM
Master

My favorite is the second chapter which contains this verse.

"Thinking of objects, attachment to them is formed in a man. Attachment gives rise to desire and desire (when obstructed) breeds anger. From anger comes delusion which results in loss of memory of the Self. ~ (BG-2 : 63)

Many seemingly normal people get into bouts of bitter speech or violence due to sudden bursts of anger which they may greatly regret later on. Anyone who is interested in anger management should study this verse to understand his mind and the emoting process.

The loss of memory (of the Self) causes destruction of discrimination and from the ruin of discrimination the man perishes." ~ (BG-2 : 63)

We can see here that the loss of memory of the Self or loss of present moment awareness due to unconscious thinking and emoting stemming from cravings or aversions (raag-dvesh), can result in deluded thoughts and actions of a destructive nature leading to ruin. The loss of memory of the Self results in lack of mental equanimity or calmness, and anything that arises out of an agitated mind is bound to result in error.

I think this sequence of psychological movements is highly insightful, and also informs us how attachments and even addictions of an unhealthy nature are formed.

I would say this would even serve as an aid to meditation.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon