View Single Post
Old 22-06-2019, 11:49 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton
Indeed, I like that revelation of the five husbands being the five senses, and I believe that the sixth husband would be our mind, and a portion of humanity in general is trying to find God through their own mind, or shall we say, "think" God into existence.

I thought that was a pretty cool way to reinterpret that passage. It gets beyond the words and even what they directly symbolize and into its deeper meaning. Once realized, it can be applied to many different parallel situations. I love how metaphore, analogy, parallelism, and even juxtaposition can do that. It is like a pair of glasses with two different lenses in them, that appear to be showing two different scenes, but when put on, create a greater depth of vision for both.
It got me to thinking about how other parables and passages could be reinterpreted and repurposed as well.
I also liked the way you put that,
"a portion of humanity in general is trying to find God through their own mind, or shall we say, "think" God into existence"

It instantly reminded me of one of my favorite book quotes.
“What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha
In our zeal to discover what God is, and do what God wants, we fail to recognize when we are looking God in the face.