Thread: Skepticism
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2017, 05:11 PM
ketzer

The Tao Te Ching is a book that the first time I read it I shook my head at such inexplicable gibberish.
Despite this, something has drawn me back to it again and again over the years.
Each time I come back, I find it makes more and more sense, yet I am no closer to being able to find words to explain it to anyone else, nor able to capture it in thought to myself. Mercifully, it starts out with a warning that you will find this to be the case, else I might wreak my brain trying. In this way, it is similar to Zen. It is said that Zen is not the moon, rather it is the finger pointing to the moon. No one can show you the moon, you must see it for yourself. If you do see the moon, you will find you cannot show it to anyone else either. You can point and they may or may not see it. So it is with the Tao as well. Many have tried to interpret it for others, but IMO all have failed, yet somehow many come to feel they understand it’s wisdom and beauty, even if only a little bit better. I expect ambivalence is an appropriate and good way to approach it, that way you don’t carve your block before you see all it could contain.
Quote:
“Wisdom cannot be imparted. Wisdom that a wise man attempts to impart always sounds like foolishness to someone else ... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha