View Single Post
Old 16-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
My point is, if you know you are part whatever by ancestry and/or culture and upbringing, who cares if the test says this or that or the other thing?

And beyond that, you are from these things, but none of it defines who you are at core. These things are simply a part of your story and your journey, and they can be a very meaningful part, but in the end you decide who you are. Amen.

7L - I have to say I agree with what you say here. I've seen people being very proud of their heritage their whole lives, until they took a DNA test that revealed they might not be as ________(fill in the blank) as they previously believed. The DNA results sometimes mess with ones head and can even trickle down to children when parents start questioning their heritage after raising their kids with a certain set of heritage beliefs.

I won't be having a DNA test done for that purpose ever. I'm completely satisfied with just being a human being. I do understand people's motives for ordering these tests; they're just not for me. I feel like if I start identifying with a particular set of people in a specific region of the world, I'm placing labels on myself.