View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53

The reason I started this thread is because, basically I grew up Christian which I ditched when I was in my early 30's. But I was left with all these rules. Which I broke on an almost daily basis. The guilt, the shame. I lived with it for years.

Till one day I threw it out the window and decided to do what I felt like doing. I have one rule. This is my rule not anyone elses.Do no harm to others. Other than that, I do and say pretty much whatever I feel like doing and saying. And I don't have that guilt or shame riding on my shoulders anymore.

And understanding that our genes, our actual chemical makeup plays a part only reinforces me to continue as I am doing.

So here's what our genes do. They are anchors that connect us to our physical experience.

Genes help to shape our bodily form, help to brace-us for, and react to, the problems that come with bacterial and bodily threats..

they provide for the propensities that are particular to our species (our use of language, our ability to move the way that we do.. and our sexual desire; in order to facilitate replication and to frankly have fun.. :)

Genes are specific "outlines", that are packaged for each individual species, in regards to their unique physical expression.

What makes us-humans so different is the size of our frontal lobe. We can "imagine" in such ways that we can easily be confused as to what's natural and whats been imaginably derived. For millions of years we humans were engaged as fairly small groups within a survival-based paradigm. There was very little difference between our experience and our surroundings. Anymore we're awash within imaginary-assertions. We are overriding our physical experience with our imaginary expectations.

We are animals who dream while we're awake. And thus we loose sight of our evolved human experience. We "think" that while "thinking" that we're accomplishing something special. That if we "create" a god, via language and imagery, then in response that version of god will exist. And that if we "create" a set of specific morals that we can then somehow delete our natural inclinations.

In comparison to nature, 'religions' and belief systems are inherently insane. They remove us from the complexity of what it is to be naturally present. They project belief structures that don't actually exist, and would have us devote our lives to this imaginably created menu.

Our frontal lobes are great for helping us to navigate our natural setting, but it truly stinks when it comes to doing much more.