View Single Post
Old 22-03-2017, 03:44 AM
Knower
Arrow

Once, a relation of my x-husband's passed away. We did not know her very well, but liked her a lot. She was hippy-dippy and carefree - a real bohemian - the opposite of her own husband who was our more direct relation, but who was also a crochety old man who had burned us in business - really a mean (not just passive, deliberately mean and not just to us) cold fish, though of course I have compassion for him and understand why. Anyway, long story - but when we heard the news, we wondered if we should call the codger and offer our condolences (and likley endure his cold, indifferent or possibly abusive demeaner) or... just skip it. We went outside to ponder our moral obligation over a cigarette. While we were talking about it, this intense smell of perfume - or flowers - came over both of us. It was so strong! This was dead of winter in Denver with snow on the ground and not a flower in sight since months. I said suddenly, "That must be Jan! She wants us to call him." So we did, even though it was awkward as Hell, and you know what? It was the right thing to do. He was touched, and so were we.