View Single Post
Old 30-11-2011, 04:58 PM
spiritualized

Thanks for the reply Vulkus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulkus
I wasn't satisfied with my diagnosis. So I set about discovering why I was this way, what causes it and were my hallucinations really hallucinations.

I've never been satisfied with my diagnosis or the biomedical models either.

Quote:
In another time I may have been considered a shaman, or someone in contact with the spirits. This thought spurred my research in to myself even further. I read many books spoke with many people, and came to the final conclusion that Schizophrenia, depression, bi polar are all just labels. They are just ways of explaining something that isn't fully understood.
This then drove me towards the occult, I have studied both on my own and under tutelage of a few very talented and knowledgable people. In that vein I have studied many areas of the occult and esoterica.
These studies have helped me deal with things. As well as opening me up to a world of self discovery.

Largely the same for me as well.

Quote:
The biggesst suggestion I could make for you in your situation at this time, would be to try and change your social situation.

I have done & continue to do everything that I can to improve things. What realistically can I do? Beyond what I already do?

Quote:
There is research to suggest that by 40 most sufferers of schiz have recovered, it isn't known why though. I am one such person, I am currently studying a diploma in Mental Health in order to help others.
I would suggest you seek out other people in your own situation, self help groups and the like. If you have not already. You have come along way in your own recovery and you have a lot of information and lived experience that could help others in your situation. This is why I have engaged in various forms of study. By helping others I help and heal myself.

I do what I can.

UK NHS statistics class there as being 3 types of psychosis prognosis - A third have one major episode & then largely recover - a third have multiple episodes & periods of recovery - & a third become unwell & never really recover. I seem to fit the middle group.

Quote:
Are there any schiz or mental health organisations in the UK that offer support?

I've tried everything that I'm aware of & that is out there to reasonably access, & that is local - The UK is very backward & largely useless in these areas. The biomedical model/label & drug paradigm is dominant.

I don't have any supportive medical practitioners that would support a medication withdrawal - there is nothing that would support me this way in the community. I've tried on-line MH forums (lots of them) - a local MH forum, MIND, Rethink, the Richmond Fellowship, NA, & other organisations.

What is available in the UK is either inadequate/&/or too far away &/or prohibitively expensive.

The fact remains - that with all my best efforts - I have little in the way of practical & close support. I am very grateful for family & certain friends; I'm finally getting some psychotherapeutic help. But I'm very damaged from everything that has gone on - I feel very f*cked up from life & the ways that I've been reacted to & treated. After all that I've gone through; at this stage - even if all the appropriate help was to magically appear - I doubt that I'd get off this neuroleptic drug - I think it's got too late in the day. But I'm not going to get the help that I need from the MH system or mainstream society - & it's incredibly difficult to find within my own resources.