View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I wasn't familiar with it. I just had a quick look, although many of the terms are beyond my understanding. It postulates that consciousness originates at the quantum level inside neurons, rather than the conventional view that it is a product of connections between neurons.

My personal view is that consciousness has its origins way beyond anything physical, and that includes the quantum level.

Peace

Penrose has a different take on the Copenhagen interpretation of collapse of the wave function. Instead of (conscious?) observation/measurement causing collapse he postulates the collapse is an objective reduction of the wave function and causes a discreet instance of consciousness, and due to quantum entanglement with the microtubules imparts or makes availabe that consciousness to the brain. The microtubule part of the hypothesis is the product of Hameroff's investigations as an anesthesiologist.

In physics the Holy Grail is a theory of everything describing the unified field which is the source of everything, all particles and forces/fields. String & M theory are mathematical attempts to crack it.

On the spiritual side, and specifically non-dualism consciousness is at the foundation of everything.

Maybe the unified field and consciousness/awareness are one in the same and at the gross level of existence we inhabit Orch OR is the manifestation of consciousness from our perspective?

Penrose doesn't like to dive into that kind of speculation however Hameroff isn't so shy but still doesn't go all the way.

Orch OR isn't anywhere near ready for prime time, but it's interesting and pretty much the only hypothesis that attempts to directly identify a mechanism for consciousness.

As for consciousness being beyond physical wouldn't that be a dualist take? I guess that's one of the things about Orch OR that I find interesting because for quite a while, decades, I thought Divinity wasn't supernatural, that in fact it had to be the foundation of existence.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 03-11-2019 at 09:24 PM.