View Single Post
Old 22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Spirited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective
The only time I've liked "hard" music - was when I went through a rebellious stage as a teen & when I'm in a bad mood (which incidentally is at the moment)... It helps to empathize with my feelings but then I soon prefer something more happy, like you mentioned.

Just the other day, I heard about an experiment with water crystals & plants... after being exposed to heavy metal music, the plants didn't do as well & the crystals were significantly different... compared to "happier" music & positivity. Sorry, I don't know the source, but you could google it.

Beethoven actually has some good music, IMO, to empathize with anger & then bring me back to a more peaceful place/feeling... esp. 9th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M

That experiment sounds interesting I'll certainly look it up. I will listen to that link in a bit - thanks for sharing! I agree with what you said about your mood seemingly determine what you listened to, I've found that to be the case with me also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
I'm an avid metal fan. I love the strength and passionate emotions and raw truth expressed in that music.

I've always found that it heightens my mood, rather than lowering it.

Though I do find listening to bands that are too similar, the same bands....etc to be a bit of a drag because it doesn't envoke the same emotions/reactions I usually have to the music. It's basically a killjoy.

I think variety and finding new artists/bands is the key if you want to continue to enjoy music and have positive reactions to it.

As for it being complimentary to a spiritual life....hmm. IMO anything done for leasure changes emotions and emotions colour perceptions. Perceptions are what shape our understanding of spiritual experiences.

So, I think, depending on the individual, Metal music can effect your spiritual perceptions if you are listning, or thinking of it, while thinking about or performing spiritual actions.

Though I do have one question....why is it considered to be "Dark" music?

I agree with that, good post - always interesting to see others opinions.

I don't consider it to be "Dark" myself, but I referenced that as many other forums I have seen this discussion on have had many users (mainly Christian) saying how Metal is "Dark" despite of the lyrics. Not that I agree with that though. I think they refer to artists such as Marilyn Manson maybe who would seem to be Satanist or into Devil worship maybe. Not sure! Not my views though.