View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Master
Dear Abby pretend questions

I've been racking my brains trying to think of ways to practise which would be fun and helpful in learning the meaning and combination of cards generally.

I've come up with the idea of having a "Dear Abby" column. A totally fictitious question is asked in the vein of a pretend person writing for help with a personal problem.

Then anyone who feels inclined can do a reading based on the fictitious question.

I thought it would be interesting to see what different advice people give, based on the cards they draw.

It's entirely up to the reader as to what spread they use, whether it's one card, two or more cards, a set spread they want to experiment with etc.

So I'll kick it off with a pretend letter.

"Dear Abby,

I've been in a relationship for the past two years with a wonderful girl, but I've recently found out that she's been sleeping around with other men behind my back.

I'm absolutely devastated and don't know whether to stay in the relationship and try to work it out, or to leave her.

What should I do?

Yours, broken heart."

Dear broken heart,

I'm sorry to hear that things have taken a turn for the worst in your relationship and hope this spread will help to throw some light on your situation.

The first card I drew was the Lovers reversed, which highlights the unhappy situation you're now in, due to your girlfriend's infidelity. The cause of the problem is the Queen of Cups, who seems to be the woman your boyfriend is now besotted with and has sadly chosen to seek comfort from, rather than yourself.

The Ace of Cups shows what you have forgotten as far as the initial magic in your relationship, which highlights the initial excitement and headiness of the love when you first met. The 4 of Cups shows your feelings at this time, you seem to be focused on your relationship which is clearly not making you happy, yet you seem to be ignoring any possible opportunity to improve the situation by closing yourself off.

The future potential of the relationship is represented by the reversed King of Wands and the World reversed. These cards seem to indicate that your relationship will indeed end prematurely. A lack of confidence in yourself and your ability to sustain this relationship will make it very difficult for you to get past the infidelity of your girlfriend, leaving you feeling betrayed and angry.

The advice offered was the Wheel of Fortune and the Page of Pentacles, indicating that although this relationship may end, there is the promise of a new, brighter future. The wheel is forever turning, it is only a matter of time when it will turn in your favour once again.

Although you are understandably devastated, be assured that there is hope for a better future. The cards seem to indicate that you would indeed be better off to end your relationship, as there will be something better and more worthwhile in the future."

This was a quick pretend reading, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I mean. I think it's good in the sense that there's no pressure, as you're not reading for a real person who is invested in the outcome and it helps understanding the cards.

So any takers?

I'll be interested to see what other takes come up.