View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrycia-Rose
I think the neurofeedback is the same thing as bio-feedback?
They are different. The idea of biofeedback is to amplify and display some physiological process, say skin resistance or heart rate variability, so that you are aware of it and then consciously apply that awareness. A way to develop conscious control. Similar to what Yogis do.

Neurofeedback is an unconscious protocol used to retrain the brain. There are a lot of ways to do it. For my treatment they put multiple probes on the skull. Each probe signal is programmed to detect a frequency band and section of the brain. Then computer software emits an audible tone every time the brain stumbles into a better configuration. The tone acts as a reward and so is very Pavlov like. Over several minutes the brain "gets it" and starts settling into new patterns that are more healthy based on the protocol.

With repeated treatments over time the new patterns become stable and available all of the time. An example of frequency and location is people who are impulsive and lack self control typically have a low frequency pattern in their pre-frontal cortex. So if you had those symptoms they would apply a protocol to retrain the brain to raise the frequencies in that location. It requires a lot of expertise on part of the NF people to choose the correct training protocols and brain locations based on symptoms and also to adjust the treatment over time.

I had reservations in having my brain reprogrammed and so it was not something I did lightly. There was no way for me to know what sort of people they used as a baseline as "normal" and I did not want to be "normal". So I had to take it on faith that this would be a good thing. I did have moments questioning the whole process and there was some minor emotional stress adjusting to the changes. And it is taking way more time than I expected. In the end it is well worth it. I am very fortunate to find a place on my way to work and insurance covers a lot of the cost. I often feel like I don't deserve it but that is an old belief and I also remind myself how messed up I was when I started the treatment.

Quote:

That [bi-lateral tapper] sounds really interesting. Is such a thing available on amazon?
Actually the one I have is called a TheraTapper. Yes you can order it online.

Forgot to mention one more thing you can try called Logosynthesis. It involves a very powerful affirmation word pattern for making changes. I gave my therapist a statement to read at specific points in the process. It clears things very quickly. There is a book called "Self Coaching with Logosynthesis ". I have not read it yet but someone just told me it's already on my kindle :)

Good luck to you also.