View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 AM
Polar

Mirror staring and deep trance like state

One type of meditation I’ve been recently using to help me calm and center myself is mirror staring.

I read about the process some time ago, that by starring for up to 40min each night you will be presented with visions of different but similar faces of yourself and that the process is slowly peeling away your own inner sense of identity.

I've had some similar experiences which lead to seeing future images of myself as an old man and even my death face but I’ve had other forms of visions and phenomenon happen to me during these meditations which are far more interesting and disturbing.

When i stare into a mirror I can also try to focus each of my eyes to look into their opposites. The problem with this action is we have a dominating eye, only one eye sees into the other at a time (I could shift focus back and forth but never both in focus at the same moment). Recently i have somehow brought myself to see through both eyes equally - which was shocking at first. I have managed to have both eyes see each other at the same moment (each pupile stand out as a black hole into something undifinable) and it causes a very strange state of mind in me. It’s like i have become two people and no-one at the same time. more disturbing is that I can make it happen with 100% consistency - when i reach a point where both my left eye and right eye are both aware of each-other, my mind disconnects from my body and an automatic calming effect, almost a deathly calm falls over my whole physical and visceral sense of self. My mind is cut from the internal and external sense of myself and i just observe myself like i am without a body.

The act is so automatic it disturbs me to some extent. I worry that i could pass out maintaining such a trance like state – my puls slows down a lot! Does anyone understand what is happening or knows of similar state in other forums of meditation?

Can anyone share ideas on safety and what long term effect would happen if I maintained this state to learn more about myself?