View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Ascender

Hello all. Referring back to my posts 55, 132, 152--and for no other reason than to continue the flow of the suggestions made therein--:-

If the suggestion made in 152 has validity, then it should be possible to get some idea concerning any validity by the following method:-

If we first allow the suggestion to be valid for the purpose of the exercise, then figure out what would be needed within the framework of that suggestion in order to allow the "I" to abandon the pattern of self centred behaviour and perception in favour of behaviour not so detrimental to either society at large or that particular individual, then this "therapeutic process" ( for want of a better term) could be applied, and if successful would indicate in some measure that the original suggestion has validity.

Now of course we would not be in a position perhaps to apply this process with an emergent "I" as subject. But I would suggest that the pattern of self centred behaviour and perception adopted at that early stage is likely to persist into adulthood if no alternative means of affirmation is offered and accepted. This simply because it is difficult to change that upon which you have become dependant, --in this case self centred behaviour,--by means available within that self centred perception. I suggest it needs an input of the required kind from an external source in order for that change to take place.

So, it should I believe be possible to apply the" therapeutic process" to an adult and then observe the results in order to test the validity of the suggestion.

I would further suggest that this has already been done. The "therapeutic process" is I think basically the offering of acceptance and significance to the "I" thereby allowing the self centred perception and behaviour to become redundant and so discarded in favour of something which was actually sought tough not found anyway, and also actually fulfills the need. Love, compassion, understanding, companionship.

These will be recognised as being the central considerations characterising some beliefs, long established but often understood as virtues to be sought rather than ways to use.

petex