View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraNevadaStar
That's what I've taken to calling it due to a few dreams I've had over the past year.

I fell into a dark time in the late fall/early winter of 2016 and I don't think I've fully recovered from it yet, but am trying to.

However, hindering me in the process of a full recovery and to better continue onward along my spiritual path - is an 'addiction' to what I call 'sensory' junk food. I don't mean 'junk food' as to the food I consume as I eat a wholesome vegan diet. I more mean what I take in to myself in other ways.

I practice creative visualisation - or, I used to until late 2016. I'd like to get back to it again. But for nearly a year-and-a-half, I've found myself deliberately looking up things which discourage me from realizing my goals. Things that upset me. Things that leave me feeling hurt and hopeless. Things that can even make me cry. I know I am doing this because there is a real self-destructive side to my shadow self. I klnow I am doing this because I lack self-love and self-confidence.

Sometimes, after looking up the 'sensory junk food,' I fall ill with a bad headache. Sometimes, I'll even throw up. If that doesn't communicate the adverse effect this 'addiction' is having on my being on multiple levels, I don't know what does.

Of course, I need to stop. I'll quit and feel so much better amid the respite, only to give in again.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

MUSIC!

If you can find your jam (I'm down with the kids) it's like a gas ring firing up!

Sometimes an artist can speak for you - other times they speak an unknown language that simply sounds beautiful - make an evening of it.

Headphones are key - but out loud can still have the desired effect.

I'm as far away from pretentious as you can get - I'm a working class Englishman - but Tchaikovsky really took me to another place, the melodies are beautiful & never predictable.

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum any mainstream artists unplugged can be eye opening.

In the UK we have the Radio 1 live lounge (all available on youtube) whereby artists perform their tracks live & also perform cover songs.
You can have Rock Icons perform tracks originally R&B or pop & the transformation is tremendous.

A song that has never really spoken to you - reinterpreted suddenly gives you goose bumps ...

30 seconds to Mars performed stronger by Kanye west & it was hauntingly beautiful.
The pretty reckless performed champagne supernova by Oasis & it is probably the best version I have ever heard (speaking as an Oasis fan).

It might become your new addiction - if your an addictive personality like I am - just switch out your needs.

It can be your methadone

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain