View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Master
I think the key teaching of Ramana was self inquiry, so it's probably worth looking into that as he explains it. I'm not so sure of the value of the other asides, though these might be relevant to particular questioners.

We will find that those interested in being gurus will promote gurus, but there are spiritual teachers who suggest it is inhibiting, but it's not a question of which teacher is right and which teacher is wrong, because to believe either on the authority of their teacherdom is 'following'.

We run into these sorts of problems with knowledge, as the formation of 'the answer' only gives us something to cling to, and wield out of our own desire to influence others. In the ways of teaching I am accustomed to, the teacher speaks from their insight, but the student is alone to discern, and can only understand the meaning through their own actual insight. In this way Ramama's method of self inquiry is sensible, because it doesn't tell you what an answer is, and it requires you to look and see for yourself.

Now, when people tell you you need a guru, what makes them right and what makes them wrong? This is all senseless debate in which each party attempts to influence the other, and that is power, where the basic intent is to be right, and thereby come out on top.

If people want to find a guru, then go ahead, enjoy the benefits of such an endeavour, and if another finds it unappealing, then don't - it's each one's self determination to discern what is best.

In my life I have not sought gurus, but at times in my life I have 'stumbled upon' highly advanced people who gave me a hand in moving along, just within my friendships - but I read a bit of Ramama and he has said some relevant things to me, so I can only suggest reading a bit and see what you think of it.