View Single Post
Old 17-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Kepler

Thanks for the reply, QuantumKev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumKev
So perhaps a good question is this : is there any argument for an intelligent designer that you see as valid?
Not a scientific one, no. This does not mean that one doesn't exist or can't be created or discovered. This also does not mean that one can't hold a belief in a higher power. Belief is about different things for different people. Many people don't care what science or philosophy has to say about a higher power, they just believe.

Quote:
It seems to me that, since there is no way to definitively prove it one way or another, the true materialist will always be able to poke holes in the logic of anyone's assertion that there just might be one, right?
Yes, it seems that way. Again, this doesn't mean one can't meaningfully hold a belief in a higher power, and also doesn't mean that a convincing argument can't, in principle, be created or discovered.

Quote:
This is an ongoing argument between those of us who believe, and those who don't. And the fact is, there is no 'making' someone believe. If you choose not to believe, that's completely acceptable to me. But after 20+ years of "arguing" the case, I have grown tired, as it seems nothing less than the concrete manifestation of a higher 'being' standing in front of someone and literally creating something living out of thin air could make a believer out of someone who refuses to believe. And even then, I'm certain the diehard skeptic could find some scientific explanation for what just happened, reducing it all to trickery.
Again, you're not obligated to argue anything here. You created this thread and asked what people thought of your ideas. I commented, and now we're here. I hope you didn't assume everyone would just uncritically accept what you were saying?

Quote:
I like what Mind's Eye said, and I agree with it. I simply choose to believe that there is something more to life than we are currently capable of perceiving directly, something unprovable, and nothing anyone says can change my belief.
That's fine. There's really nothing more I can say about this. Remember, I am not criticising your personal beliefs.

Quote:
Just as nothing anyone can say can make you change yours.
You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about my personal spiritual beliefs, although I have presented no details about them.

Quote:
When someone can explain to me how 2 particles that are related through quantum entanglement can 'communicate' their state to each other in such a manner that it happens instantaneously over any distance, defying the "cosmic speed limit" of the speed of light using the current laws of physics - well, THEN I will be impressed! : )
There is good reason to think that quantum entanglement does not allow superluminal communication.

I've enjoyed the discussion thanks.