View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothwing
I think culture has a great deal to do with one's beliefs or religion. Being reared in a certain culture, you are urged (consciously or subconsciously) to believe a certain way. Of course, as an adult, a person may come into contact with other beliefs/cultures and perhaps even change their own beliefs from those he or she grew up with, but that is likely difficult. And some may never consider a different belief system because the one they grew up with may have instilled certain values and practices that have become inherent to one's life and mental/spiritual well-being.

That's not to say that culture's involvement with religion is good or bad, mostly because there's no real way around it. We are affected by our surroundings until such a time that we realize we have a choice to not let it affect us, but even then we might not change our beliefs or perspectives because of it. And who's to say that even deciding not to let our culture influence us really allows us to stop it?

Just my thoughts. Interesting topic.

Mothwing,
Interesting reply. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I agree that we are often influenced by beliefs of our culture. In essence I almost believe you can not seperate the two, culture and religion. They are intermingled.
What is your veiw of one who grows up with no religious influence? A person who is raised almost in a neutral enviroment where God/religion is rarely mentioned? Do you believe there is still a residue of religion in this person because of the influence of their culture with or without the religious factor?

On another note, what within the person responds to the religion, the spirit of the person or the upbringing of the person? It could be both. In seeking a spiritual connection it would almost seem logical for that person to begin with their own cultural beliefs. Sometimes the decision can be influenced by what is available to them. I know that many times as I have spoken with others about their beliefs there are mixed beliefs and commitments to their cultural religion. Of course as you mentioned above I think that the age of the person plays a large role in what they believe. As is often with spiritual endeavors the religious veiws you begin with are not always the ones you settle on as you mature. I know I came full circle, it has been an interesting journey!