Thread: Power animals?
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckandSearching
I've done some digging into various spiritualities that involve animals, and one thing that popped out to me a vast amount was "power animals" within shamanism. This may seem an odd question (or few questions) but do you often work with this topic? Like is it something that is well known?

I'm really curious to find out what my "power animal" is. I've read up on meditation and will be trying a session tonight, but an outside opinion would be, I believe very beneficial. If anyone could possibly give me some insight on the topic at hand, that would be lovely.

It's strange that this specific thing speaks to me clearly. I think something like this is the start to what I'm looking for. There is something inside me and a spirit of some sort is pushing me to find out what it is. At least, that's what it feels like. Could that "spirit" or feeling be my power animal?

Best wishes.
I often work with power animals, and from what I understand it's very well understood in the history of shamans and their related communities. Power animals are a bit like the Familiars of European-descended witchcraft, though they often serve a more involved role. I have a handful of guides - mostly animals but not exclusively - whom I frequently interact with, and have one as a primary at any given time.

The person I learned the technique of shamanism from - a live one - also mentioned her spirit guides in this way, as did the person she learned from: Michael Harner, who wrote The Way of the Shaman and who provides a lot of really good details on the history and techniques of shamanism. I really liked it since it came from a standpoint encouraging firsthand experience as validity for the art, as opposed to being written to convey a message of "This is reality because I say so". If you're feeling drawn to shamanism, I recommend at least reading that one. From the few other shamans I know - very respectful, down-to-earth people - it's a good basis for getting started on the path.

It's entirely possible it's your personal power animal or guide that's drawing you towards learning about that path. It may also be a part of your own spirit - or a memory of a past life - that feels familiarity with the topic.

At this time I don't have a lot of free time, but if you still would like someone to do a reading to compare notes with regarding your guide, I'd be willing to do one in the near future.
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."