View Single Post
Old 17-07-2017, 01:09 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
One issue I have with most counselling courses, and I am a counsellor myself, is that there is too much talking in the 'talking therapies'
I hope that at least one of the courses you consider includes some body work by the client to do for himself, i.e. not body work done by the therapist.

Thanks for this feedback.

I agree with what you have said regarding Talk Therapy, as a teenager I was seeing a counselor whose focus was talk therapy and CBT. I was going through trauma at the time and was very disassociated emotionally and physically so as you can probably imagine the therapy was not effective for me.
Later on I was seeing a good psychologist who was able to guide me through exercises designed to bring my presence back into my physical and emotional body while also working with be to help gradually and gently release the layers of trauma.

I wonder what you mean specifically by body work though?
I notice that mainstream psychology has now adopted many more mind-body connection approaches and exercises than they used a decade ago. Especially when recognizing and dealing with trauma and depression. A decade ago the industry seemed to be very much on the CBT wagon.

I am glad that I started this conversation as I begin to navigate the next steps towards my path. I am not rushing into anything at this point - I am doing some thorough research until I commit to anything some time next year.
Thanks.