View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Master

If I may chime in, this is a topic I've long been interested in. With a bit of research it becomes obvious that the various gods that existed all over the ancient world had common roots.

E.g. the god that Christians worship is not actually Yahweh, the Jewish God, but rather Zeus/Jupiter, who even according to mainstream scholars is the same as Indra (think about the Long white beard, above the clouds, white robes, golden throne, commanding storms and throwing lightning bolts are mortals that displease him. Clearly, "God" is Zeus. Also, the roots for Deity, Theist, Atheist are all Deus, which in itself comes from Zeus).

Durga is the Same goddess as Ishtar/Aphrodite/Venus. There are many other examples, which is not surprising, since the Indo-Europeans were essentially a Vedic culture, who shared the same language, religion and culture thousands of years ago.

Another aspect I find interesting, is that The Devas were Hindu gods and the Asuras Hindu demons (or Titans, to use the Greek word), but in ancient Persia it was the other way round, The Asuras were considered gods and the Devas demons.

A similar "demonisation" of gods took place in the Middle East where formerly respected Gods became Goetic demons in Christianity, such as Baal becoming the Demon Belial or Beelzebub.

My own feeling is that gods are simply intelligent forces of nature that we choose to antropomorphise to better understand and interact with them. That we name the various planets and "heavenly" objects after various ancient gods is a clear indication of this subconscious bias.