View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
And do you think it matters that aside from 'meat' growing up in a nice setting, how horrified and frightened it was when it died? Remember, transport and slaughterhouses are terrifying experiences for all those animals. There is not one that is not, it is what it is. Not only that, there is a growing acceptance that fish have relationships, feelings and so it wouldn't be foolish to assume that the process of suffocating to death isn't equally frightening for the fish.

A PubMed page I came across said the following after a pilot randomized controlled study:

'Findings: Thirty-nine omnivores were randomly assigned to a control group consuming meat, fish, and poultry daily (OMN); a group consuming fish 3-4 times weekly but avoiding meat and poultry (FISH), or a vegetarian group avoiding meat, fish, and poultry (VEG). At baseline and after two weeks, participants completed a food frequency questionnaire, the Profile of Mood States questionnaire and the Depression Anxiety and Stress Scales. After the diet intervention, VEG participants reduced their EPA, DHA, and AA intakes, while FISH participants increased their EPA and DHA intakes. Mood scores were unchanged for OMN or FISH participants, but several mood scores for VEG participants improved significantly after two weeks.
CONCLUSIONS:
Restricting meat, fish, and poultry improved some domains of short-term mood state in modern omnivores. To our knowledge, this is the first trial to examine the impact of restricting meat, fish, and poultry on mood state in omnivores.' https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22333737

Aside from this study group seeing a correlation of improved mood by giving up meat as a result of a particular kind of 'acid' that meat/fish contains, I have a theory that goes like this:

When an animal is terrified, it's body is flooded with the fight/flight hormones and that permeates every fibre of its being. When people eat meat, they actually ingest those same hormones and you know what they say, 'we are what we eat'.

Oh God, I totally agree with you, In fact I hadn't even seen the situation like this. The thought of an animal being terrified brings tears to my eyes :( I've seen pictures of cows before slaughter and the look in their eyes is heart breaking. I guess it doesn't really make a difference how they are raised if they are drenched with fear before they die. And that is also true, that the body is encapsulated in fear, and these are the vibrations we eat. oh that is so sad. Thanks Debrah for bringing this to light. I hope this will help me to continue reducing meat and finding alternatives in my diet until it is non-existent. A very true and valid point!