View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:08 AM
Knower

Good for you for taking an holistic approach to healing, addressing not just the mental factor but the physical and spiritual as well.

Just curious: What stage of Hashimoto's disease are you in? Still hyperthyroid, or has it progressed to hypothyroid? Apologies if that's too personal a question; won't hurt my feelings one bit if you choose not to answer -- I'm just fascinated by the whole glandular system. It's so complex!

As for stress/anxiety/PTSD, I agree with those who recommended some form of mental health therapy. It can be really hard to find the right therapist, but I think it can be well worth the search. A PTSD-specific support group might be a good alternative or addition -- for me, a combination of the two was best. Having a therapist who, over time, knew me well enough to provide the info I needed when I needed it was ... wow. Super helpful. The support group was also really nice because it provided a space in which to focus on the issue and still be able to sit back and process while listening to how others dealt with theirs. It was a good, balanced approach for me.

Too, a friend gave me the most unfortunately titled book. It's called "You Can Be Happy No Matter What" by Richard Carlson. I would never in a million years have read a book with such a silly title, but I gritted my teeth and dove in because my friend gave it to me with such loving intent. SO glad I did! The title entirely misses the mark; the information and exercises suggested in the book are aimed toward finding emotional balance, which I think is a much healthier goal than unmitigated happiness. Or, it's healthier for me anyway. I'd strongly recommend this book for anyone who's seeking mental and emotional balance. It certainly helped me find my center. Just ignore the absurdity of the title; there's nothing absurd about the book's contents.

Please keep us posted as you continue to explore your options and find your way toward resolution of this issue. We're here to help and support, and your sharing of your process is very likely to help others who are also dealing with this issue. =-)