Thread: Mother Issues
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2017, 02:16 AM
Experiencer

npd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
I hate to say it, but I got mummy issues
I keep bumping into issues and problems that have been caused by her. I've been trying to change this, by telling her I don't like the way she treats me, by talking to her, trying to get through to her. I even broke off communication altogether a few times because I saw no other solution. That's where I am right now too and I intend to keep it that way, at least for now. Being in touch with her only gives me stress and I've had enough stress in my life, I want peace.

Nevertheless, I am still dealing with all the issues. I've been claimed by her my entire life (something I didn't realize until a few months ago), she latches on to me and always has. She manipulates, victimizes herself when it suits her --> when she doesn't get her way. Tries to tell me how to run my life. Basically she simply tries to control me and my life.
It took me a long long time to see this clearly, it wasn't until I was about 37 when it first really started to dawn on me what was going on, and not until a few months ago to get the full extent in view (I am 51 now).
I can understand why she does this, but that still doesn't make it my problem, it's hers to sort out. Instead she's made me her buoy, even when I was a very young kid, and I can't be that anymore. Don't want to be that anymore either. It's not my job, and I got the right to be free.

All that has happened from early childhood onwards, has undermined my self-esteem, sense of self-worth, feeling worthy enough to have my own personal space, and so on and so forth.

Now I know many people have 'mummy issues'. I'm just wondering, has anyone successfully worked through them? If I sum it all up, it's so so much, I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Now I'm going to get therapy -I requested it-, not cos I'm a nutcase, but because I want to get rid of low self-esteem as I feel it interferes with my life too much and I'm fed up. So I don't see myself as a victim, I don't have mental problems, I'm an empowered female who wants to release the last pieces of baggage and needs/wants some help with that.
Just saying that so we have that one clear, lol.

Anywho, to repeat my question: anyone managed to successfully let go of 'mummy issues'?

Find a daughter’s of narcissistic mothers support group.
I think some of us choose dysfunctional families so that we can realize our connection with the universe. Maybe in past lives we had it too good and forgot about why we are here.