Thread: pets/dreams
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
We can't really know what they dream about. I think it often is about things they would do in their lives, and like us, they can dream about things they have just experienced.
When I was with my dog, she would howl in her sleep if we had been watching a video about Wolves.

If we had been to the big woods (where she used to chase a lot of Pheasants) -her feet would be paddling like mad in her dreams! She was chasing them while asleep!

Sometimes I used to hear her making a really sad noise in her sleep. A bit like sobbing or the sound a person makes when they are crying.
It made me wonder if she was having a sad dream!
Then one night I stayed watching her and listening, without waking her up, to see what would happen. She started to wake up and as she did she was barking and looked a bit confused.
So I thought that weird noise was probably her trying to bark in her dreams, and it was coming out as that sound.
I don't feel it was anything sad.

You know....a little like when we try to talk sometimes when we are dreaming, but the sound comes out a bit muffled because our voices aren't working properly while we are asleep? So we wake up making strange sounds?

But it's likely that if an animal experiences very sad or scary things in their life, they could have bad dreams perhaps. Even a frightening encounter with another animal which they had the day before might give them a bad dream sometimes.