View Single Post
Old 29-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Knower

I have documented Micmac ancestors but the tribe they came from was dissolved, assimilated, forced into Catholicism and even the town took the name of the place and *******ized it into something they merely thought that it meant but is only similar lol... I also have a great grandfather on my grandmothers side of the family who spoke Michif, but he was an orphan, called "half-blooded" and not really welcome anywhere... I'm not sure what tribe he came from but he spent most of his life on a reserve is all that I know, and that for some reason my grandmother tries to cover it up.
I have aunts and great aunts who look very obviously native and they have had no trouble mixing with local natives (they never had their own status cards or anything, I was actually the first person in the family to find anything recorded and it was not easy) even though we are far away from home now, and have married into local tribes, but my mother went ahead and married into a very racist family. Basically I grew up feeling like I wasn't quite white but there was a strong obvious "way" that the white kids looked at the kids from the reserve and it wasn't nice. Nor did I feel like I fit in racially with any of the local Ojibwe, and certainly not culturally unless being impoverished and feeling out of place is a qualification, which I know a lot of them dealt with...

In any case, basically I have always wished to learn more about my own heritage, the spiritual practices... And there are things that are shared readily on educational websites and stories told by local elders... But there are things I will never encounter because of the connections that my family no longer has. I can't even contact many of my aunts anymore. They are off the grid and in remote locations now. I have one aunt that also married into the family (not Micmac) who I trust a great deal but don't feel comfortable asking questions of and I'm not sure why...
Maybe I'm making excuses or afraid of being rejected (summary of my childhood right there lol)

Anyhow. Tldr: I would love to learn more also but history is quite shattered and things are quite guarded. I remain quite ignorant, but take the lessons you can find from reputable sources and focus on those, if you are sincere. And I think in time if it's meant to be, then more might follow.