View Single Post
Old 19-01-2019, 07:03 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
What is the value of believing this or that? No-one really knows anyway. Just a question.

An afterthought. Although I have studied these things since I was a teenager, our interest in what happens after death becomes more relevant as we grow older.

So at the age of 30 I could reasonably expect perhaps another 50 years in this body. I knew very few people who had died, and much of my energy was focused on taking care of material responsibilities.

Now I am nearly 60. I am retired and I have no material concerns, and I might reasonably expect another 20 years in this body. But in the past 10 years I have known many friends, acquaintances and family members who have died. Some kind of philosophy which provides a sensible explanation of what I might expect when my physical body dies can only be of value. In the meantime, I have to decide what to do with my remaining years.

After all, if you knew that at any moment you could be whisked off to an unknown land, wouldn't you want to learn something about where you might be going?

Peace.