View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Sounds good, but the issue of obstacles to overcome also arose in another thread on non-duality, where it seems the notions of oneness and perfection are like trump cards that rule out all else - but when we speak of the healing, the purification, the alignment, or whatever it can be referred to as - that is not excluded by ideals like oneness or perfection. The issue is complicated by notions that 'I have to do something' to get past obstacles, to heal, to purify myself, which is supported by reactions of aversion toward things that get stuck in the lifeform, along with the desire for that free flow of bliss throughout, and indeed it is the cessation of such reactive dynamics that best enable the purification to proceed.

In The Buddhist lexicon (that being what I'm most familiar with), 'seeing rightly' is called 'samma-samadhi', which is translated as right meditation, right concentration or right observation, depending on context.

Hello Gem

Firstly for the cohesion of what follows let me restate that there’s a distinction to be made between the assertion that nothing is required for Oneness to be the case - and the realisation of Oneness. They are often conflated but they are not the same. Oneness is the case, realisation or not. For realisation to be the case, realisation is required.

The issue of how realisation comes about is often contentious and controversial - but it needn’t be. What seems to be reported in most cases of this shift is that an opening occurs in which the habitual dualistic projections of the mind are momentarily dissolved or bypassed. Conditions that take us to the edge of our habituated outlook such as meditation, inquiry, existential crisis, trauma etc. often seem to be the correlate in the occurrence of this opening. Does purification play any part in this? I doubt it, but I don’t know.

Beyond this opening/shift, the habitual mind states will continue to arise (the left hemisphere is basically a duality projecting machine.) It doesn’t matter who you are - the Buddha, Ramana, Eckhart Tolle, these dualistic projections will still occur. But now they are not so readily bought into - they are seen to be a movement of Source (so to speak.) I suppose that this could be thought of as an ongoing re-alignment as the biology/psychology of the organism is adjusting to the new orientation.

Does any of this imply a separate instigator/doer/adjuster? Think of a plant receiving energy from the sun. It orients its leaves in order to receive maximum photons from the sun’s rays. It converts the photons into sugars in order for the plant to thrive. Nowhere in this is a separate entity. It's just a moment by moment dance involving the whole gestalt.

This opening/shift/realignment could be said to be like the orienting of the leaves in order to let in the light. It is simply a movement of a 'global event’ entailing no separate parts.