View Single Post
Old 17-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernworm
Hello!

I was not raised Jewish and have not converted so I apologize for any misuse of terms/misunderstanding in general of what I'm talking about beforehand!

I'm currently working through reading the Tanakh, in the Nevi'im at the moment (Judges) and am really inspired to want to read the text with as much understanding as possible, I want to be fully aware of the presence of G-d in every passage. Except that the majority of the time I find myself feeling as if I'm missing the great metaphors and mysticism that make it so truly holy. I was wondering if anyone has some advice, should I read easier Jewish texts first, meditate a certain way before opening the Book, or am I just not spiritually ready to get the most out of it? I know I'm a complete spiritual novice and there's no way I'll get everything even after five readings of it, but I would love to discover a way of reading it that will bring me to a better understanding. If that makes sense. Thank you!

Hello! This may not be what you're looking for. But if you want to read the bible like a Jew, then I can discuss a little.

For a start, you should look for the commentary that goes along with each portion of the Torah. You can find this online if you search for something like Torah portion [x] -- which means, your bible chapter and verses -- and look for the commentary (Talmudic and modern rabbinic) that goes along with the biblical text. There are several levels of understanding and interpretation, but the commentary will get you started, giving you a basic or foundational Jewish perspective on what the text means or could mean, or has commonly been thought to mean.

For a better understanding of how important commentary is (and has always been), I would read this link or something similar:

https://www.aish.com/jl/b/ol/48943186.html

In fact, without the Talmud (the main collection of commentary and ethics) and the midrash (parables, stories, legends), I don't think you would have access to probably most of what Jews know of the bible. Nor would you have access to a good deal of the Jewish spiritual perspectives and understandings over the ages and up through today.

So, for starters, if you are looking for a deeper way to engage with the biblical text, then you may want to read the commentary (discussion and interpretation, often several viewpoints) in the Talmud (you can find this online) and also any associated midrash (stories), at least some of which are also online, as well as in print.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke