View Single Post
Old 18-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I get support from my therapist, from https://www.reddit.com/r/cptsd and I found a couple of supportive friends at Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA) meetings. It's for children of alcoholics or dysfunctional families. One of the traits they talk about that results from our upbringing is an overdeveloped sense of responsibility. Here's a link that lists 14 traits people with similar childhoods seems to have:

http://www.adultchildren.org/lit/Laundry_List.php

Also you can search for local meetings on that website. Finding support is hard I know, sometimes a therapist can help us think of things. I'm sorry you're alone, I hope things change for you. I'd been isolated for many years, but things got so bad I went to an ACA meeting out of desperation and met people there. That's also how I found a therapist, someone who went to the meetings said they found a therapist for $25 a session so I thought I'd try it. I'm so glad I did. My family never even considered getting me help for my problems so I never considered it myself. My life could have been so much better if I had help earlier, but I'm just glad I'm finally doing it. I've changed so much these last few years due to getting help. And now things are accelerating even more with the IFS and EMDR therapy.

Thanks very much for sharing the links. I will explore the support group more!

I have more than half the list of traits, although nowadays the intensity of my traits has reduced significantly.

Hmm ... sounds like your family did not have the capacity to help you. I don't think my parents have the capacity too, but for me, I have to hide my problems from them, because they expect me to be perfect, to live up to their expectations, so if I don't, my father will get mad at me and blame me for not being good enough. When I was sick, I had to hide it from him, because he would get mad at me for being sick. So at my weakest point, not only did I not get the help that I needed, I got pushed even lower. What I had was not a life ...

Wanchain